TEACHING ESSENTIALS: INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
Developing practice: exploring tools and techniques to improve teaching.
The intermediate level comprises of two two-day workshops equating to four days of contact time.
Day three provides delegates with the opportunity to explore the ideas of differentiation in terms of planning, delivery and formative assessment. This will include practical strategies to create challenging learning objectives, realistic learning outcomes and success criteria for all abilities of students. Delegates will take part in a variety of lesson scenarios to explore their thoughts on differentiation, challenge and assessment. Delegates will also explore how to make the most of existing schemes of work and how best to work with other adults in the classroom.
- To appreciate the range of approaches to differentiation in classroom
- To explore a variety of practical strategies to create challenge in the classroom
- To look at best practice in working with other adults in the classroom
- Develop a clearer understanding of how to ‘teach to the top’ and support all students through scaffolding
- Gain hands-on experience of differentiation approaches
- Acquire strategies for maximising the use of teaching assistants and other adults in the classroom
Day four builds on further essential skills for the classroom practitioner including better questioning, use of hinge questions, digital apps for questioning and assessment and tips for improving oracy. Delegates will be able to improve time management skills in a busy school, with productivity ‘quick wins’ and organisation ‘essentials’ for teachers, including using planners and making best use of meeting times.
- Further develop questioning skills to include careful creation of hinge questions
- To use a number of online and app-based questioning tools
- Be able to use a range of assessment methods to gauge progress
- Acquire a selection of subject-specific hinge questions ready to use in classrooms
- Register with a number of web-based questioning apps and your questions set up
- Gain a clearer understanding of the importance of good organisation and time-management skills
ADVANCED: DAYS 5 & 6