This course is ideally suited to those with little or no prior experience of text-based programming. It is designed to equip and prepare teachers of ICT/computing and middle leaders with the confidence, inspiration and motivation they need to introduce and develop Python as a text-based programming language in their school’s Computing curriculum. As well as providing you with a whole host of high quality resources, Alan will focus a great deal of emphasis on the pedagogy of teaching computer science through programming. Expect to experience a variety of ways to develop your confidence teaching computing with your own classes using Python. Alan will always match the course content to best suit the needs of those participating.
When attending this as a venue-based course, delegates must:
- Bring a fully charged laptop to the course
- Have an HTML 5 enabled browser, ie. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, latest version of Internet Explorer.
- Download Python Version 3.4 from www.python.org prior to the course
- Quickly build confidence in teachers to teach programming without fear
- Identify and develop pedagogical approaches to teaching Python to pupils
- Develop teacher competence and an understanding of Python’s strengths and limitations
- Provide teachers with a scheme of work suitable for use in their own school
- Inspire teachers to consider a range of approaches to teach programming
- Give an insight into teaching GCSE computing coursework assignments
Session 1: Why Python?
Syntax errors and logical errors
Building a ‘chatbot’
Session 2: Computational Thinking and Problem Solving
Datatypes and data representation
Variables and operators
Sequence, selection and iteration
Documentation, support and resources
Session 3: Coding Dojo
Agreeing a focus
GCSE computing coursework task
029 2071 1787
£260 + VAT
£260 + VAT
£280 + VAT
£280 + VAT
+44 (0)29 2071 1787
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
“One of the best CPD's made for teachers, Alan has given me more confidence for the classroom and ideas. Would love to make progress to KS4 computing course.”
M Wood , Red House Academy
Really enjoyed the course and it has given me lots of ideas to get going with KS3
Claire Mortlock - Head of ICT, Kent College Pembury
Excellent course, well delivered resources with lots of positive teaching ideas.
Lesley Gillard - ICT Teacher, Wardle Academy
Course material is going to be really useful to build / edit SOW. A great refresher on how to use Python efficiently.
Katherine Armstrong - ICT Teacher, Ryburn Valley High School
Great day for confidence building. Great resources, surprised how much I found out over the day.
Elaine Machin, Stover School
The time went so quickly! Wish we had had longer.
Emily Barnett, The Gatwick School
I thought Alan was very engaging and for someone, such as myself who has very little knowledge at coding, he explained the concept in a clear and simple way.
James Banfield, Abingdon House School